Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Delacosta restaurant..anyone been?

has anyone been to delacosta? and if so how is it?



Delacosta restaurant..anyone been?


I haven%26#39;t and won%26#39;t despite the fact that I live within a ten minute walk of the place.





First, this place is a chain.





Second, before it opened the chef made comments that Chicago is a ';meat and potatoes'; town and as such, he would adjust the menu accordingly.





Dumbed down chain food? Pass.





Here%26#39;s a hint to chefs: If you want your place to do well in a serious food town, don%26#39;t insult the locals.



Delacosta restaurant..anyone been?


I have been several times and liked it -- good was good and nice atmostphere. Am planning to go again soon as it looked like they%26#39;ll have great outdoor space.




yes, the food is great



portions are small for chicago and a little expensive



but i think its worth it, great space, fun crowd on weekends



the booths in bar area are great for parties



have fun : )




I%26#39;ve never eaten there. A couple of reviews - chicagoreader.com/cgi-bin/rrr/details.cgi…





www.yelp.com/biz/L2uBx3pjXRK30isUJOZNkQ




Skeeter 1 has shot down more dining suggestions/questions simply for being a “chain” restaurant, obviously this is the cardinal sin of dining to him. The truth is many of Chicago’s best and most popular restaurants are part of a chain. It’s simply ridicules to boycott every restaurant because it is successful. A lot of the great steakhouses here are part of a chain including Morton’s, (and don’t say it’s exempt because it originated in Chicago, they ALL started somewhere), Gibson’s, Capital Grille, Ruth’s Chris, Shula’s, Smith %26amp; Wollensky, and Joe’s Seafood Prime Steak and Stone Crab. Just TRY to get into any of these restaurants in prime dining time without a reservation. You can’t. Walk past the Grand Lux CafĂ©, (part of “The Cheesecake Factory” empire) anytime and people will be lined up out the door for a table. Most of the pizza places are now in multiple cities and franchised out. Yes that makes them a chain but does it automatically make them bad? NO. Nor does it make them good. Every restaurant within a chain has different staff, chefs, servers etc. and should be judged on it’s own merit. I personally would listen to people who have experienced a restaurant first hand and make my decision based on that.




Thanks for the personal attack, Road. Class Act. I have never spoken to you to my knowledge and have no clue why you would choose to go after me. Maybe you do pub for the lousy restaurants listed below.





Actually, being a chain is not a cardinal sin. I have often admitted that I actually like Capital Grille. For what they do, they do well. However, boring food, poor service, and arrogant chefs are my cardinal sins. Delacosta seems to make that list on all three.





If you want to dine at yet another Ruth Chris, Road, be my guest. But if you actually want to travel to Chicago, I don%26#39;t see the point of coming here to eat at a place where you can eat at the same place in Des Moines.





Why eat at Ruth Chris when you can come here and have a real Chicago experience at Keefer%26#39;s or at Chop House?





And if you really think that Shula%26#39;s is the best that Chicago can offer, I sure don%26#39;t want to dine with you. If rubes want to line up for The Cheesecake Factory and its 50 page menu of burgers, I am not stopping them. It keeps the lines down at the places that hire real chefs.





Bottom line, Road: Keep up your work for the tedious places. Enjoy your tedious meal. Of course, given that you went out of your way to attack me, I have to think that dining is not all that you do that is tedious.




To respond further:





Roadgame, if you don%26#39;t like what I have to say about Chicago dining, then ignore what I post. Nobody is forcing you to follow my advice.





But do you really think that a personal attack on me was the way to approach the matter?





If you like a place (or are shilling for them), how about saying ';I%26#39;ve been there and I think the place was good.'; My post above was very clear -- I haven%26#39;t gone, and will not, and I stated my reasons. If you have reasons to go, then state them. But do it without the personal attack.




It was absolutely NOT a personal attack on you. I was simply responding to your first sentence





“I haven%26#39;t and won%26#39;t despite the fact that I live within a ten minute walk of the place.



First, this place is a chain.”





I have eaten at Keefer’s, which I like, and The Chicago Chop House, (where I enjoy the Chicago atmosphere and the steaks. I find the rest of the menu to be not very good and an average wine list). I do enjoy Ruth’s Chris. I am not a fan of The Cheesecake Factory personally but my point is that many people are. Sometimes people want what they know. Why do you think these restaurants thrive?




Actually, it was an attack.





Your post had nothing to do with the restaurant in question. I don%26#39;t think you even named it. It was nothing but a personal attack.





In resonse to your question: Why do they thrive?





Because they offer safe and boring food.





When I traveled to Denver recently, I had a choice of a few places in the immediate area. For the night in question, I chose McCormick %26amp; Schmidt (spelling?). Boring and predictable but decent food and I didn%26#39;t really have the time or the inclination to get to know the Denver dining scene. We had a nice but forgettable meal there.





When I talk about food, I make my preferences pretty well known. I%26#39;ve ripped Tru for having the same menu for the past three years and have even ripped Charlie Trotter (who I continue to believe is an absolute genius) for having food that has not moved forward. I like classically trained chefs who understand a classic meal, but who are able to mess around with the classic meal to make it new, interesting, and of course, tasty.





If you don%26#39;t share those values, then go someplace else. But don%26#39;t rip me for putting forth my views on the subject.




O.K. Now no one is going to reply for fear of being attacked by a Skeeter. Ha Ha!





';And if you really think that Shula%26#39;s is the best that Chicago can offer, I sure don%26#39;t want to dine with you. If rubes want to line up for The Cheesecake Factory and its 50 page menu of burgers, I am not stopping them. It keeps the lines down at the places that hire real chefs.



Bottom line, Road: Keep up your work for the tedious places. Enjoy your tedious meal. Of course, given that you went out of your way to attack me, I have to think that dining is not all that you do that is tedious.';

No comments:

Post a Comment