Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Skeeterville

I am considering booking a hotel through Hotwire that is described as being in Streeterville/Michigan Avenue. I%26#39;m a bit familiar with the Michigan Avenue area but haven%26#39;t heard the term Streeterville. Would this be a good area to stay? We%26#39;re mostly doing touristy things so access to the El and not getting stabbed as we come home at night are the only two real requirements.





The hotel I%26#39;m contemplating is 4 stars at just $89 a night. A review indicates it%26#39;s south of the river, so not the James. It does have a restaurant and spa.





What say you? Is this a good chance to take? Other hotels in that area at that price range are in the $200 neighborhood of the weekend I want to book.





Thanks for any advice you can give!



Skeeterville


Argh! Forgive my typo. I am aware it%26#39;s Streeterville. But perhaps y%26#39;all should rename it because I like my idea better.



Skeeterville


South of the river is not Streeterville.





Streeterville is the area bordered by the river on the south, Michigan Ave. on the west, and the lake on the east and north. It is considered one of the best neighborhoods in the city (which I say in all seriousness and not simply because it is my own neighborhood).





';Skeeterville'; in the other hand, is very similar in that it includes that area, but also includes other area frequented by my German Shepherd, Skeeter, from whom I take my screen name.





He tends to be a regular walking around the area. I%26#39;m pretty convinced that he considers most of Streeterville as his exclusive territory and as such, his name for the area would be Skeeterville.





';Skeeterville';, in contrast to ';Streeterville'; can extend west to include places like the Bloomingdale%26#39;s Home Store and Room and Board, dog friendly places where I agree to shop with my wife only when she agrees that Skeeter comes along.





Not to digress too much, but a lot of the places along Michigan Ave. are dog friendly, notably most of the Nordstrom%26#39;s mall. Niketown allows them in if you carry them (difficult but not impossible with Skeeter) and a lot of the smaller places along the Ave. do it on a case by case basis, which means that if you decide to purchase an expensive watch and have your GSD with you, he is welcomed with open arms. If you have a well behaved dog, you can have an interesting time on Michigan Ave.




If you%26#39;re talking about a 4* hotel on Hotwire that%26#39;s ';just South of the river'; in a review, that would almost certainly be the Hyatt.




If you%26#39;re talking about a 4* hotel on Hotwire that%26#39;s ';just South of the river'; in a review, that would almost certainly be the Hyatt.




If you would like hotel advice, let us know your dates of travel; otherwise, with the way that hotel rates can vary in Chicago, it%26#39;s impossible to make specific recommendations.




All about where Skeeter walks his dog and he lets his wife go shopping - thelocaltourist.com/articles/streeterville.h鈥?/a>




Thanks for input! Any place that gets the dog Skeeter%26#39;s stamp of approval sounds good to me. My own dog is also very discriminating, picking only the lushest greens to do his business.





I got the ';south of the river'; description from a review on Hotwire so it may or may not be accurate. I think I%26#39;ll go ahead and take the room because the price is so cheap. I%26#39;m being forced to stay at a Marriott Courtyard by O%26#39;Hare the first night of my visit so anywhere intown, as long as it%26#39;s not in the %26#39;hood, will be great.




Also, I%26#39;ve stayed at that Hyatt before. It%26#39;s large and impersonal, but well-run. The rooms were pretty nice. The location was good. I wouldn%26#39;t be disappointed if I wound up staying there again.




Hyatt is a good hotel to stay in, espcially for that price. I would take it.





By the way, Skeeterville is acutally Wisconsin in August, when the skeeters are the size of baseballs.




I%26#39;ll report back as to which hotel I get. I%26#39;m probably going to wait a couple of weeks to book it and keep my fingers crossed that the price doesn%26#39;t disappear, as there%26#39;s a chance I may have to reschedule the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment