Saturday, April 21, 2012

Guide Books For Chicago

I am visiting Chicago next month.



Can anyone recommend a good guide book which they have found to be accurate and useful. How about Timeout, Lonely Planet, Rough Guides? Any other suggestions?



Many thanks



Guide Books For Chicago


I%26#39;m a huge fan of the DK Eyewitness series of travel books. There%26#39;s one for Chicago. http://www.travel.dk.com/chicago



Guide Books For Chicago


I%26#39;ll second Dave%26#39;s recommendation. I thought their NYC book was terrific.




I really like Michelin Green guides for their ratings and thoughtful writing about a lot of things. Only problem is that the Chicago one, to my knowledge, hasn%26#39;t been updated since the one I got, copyrighted in 2001. Lots changes in terms of restaurants, hotels, etc, esp. in a place like Chicago. That said, I have been pretty happy with the Frommer%26#39;s guides.




Eyewitness ';Top 10 Chicago'; is excellent - comprehensive with good maps (and terrific photos).





If you%26#39;re seriously interested in the architecture, history, and self-guided walking tours, highly recommend ';Chicago, In And Around The Loop'; by Gerard Wolfe. It%26#39;s heavy (to carry around) but very detailed.




Many thanks to you all for taking the trouble to reply so promptly.



Very helpful.




I also recommend DK Eyewitness Guides....they%26#39;re full of pictures and background information, which make them great to keep as a souvenier after your trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment