Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Help with Chicago Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights

My daughter and myself are going to Chicago in a couple of weeks and this board has been so helpful. I have a couple of things planned and not sure where to fit everything else in as I%26#39;m not sure of proximity and time to allow. We know we can%26#39;t do everything but would like to see as much as possible without being totally exhausted.





Saturday, May 12th - Arrive at Midway - should get to The Intercontinental Hotel around 1:00 p.m. Afternoon and evening free





Sunday, May 14th - Brunch at Atwood @ 11:45 a.m. Wicked at 2:00 p.m. Evening Free





Monday - Would like to do 2 museums





Tuesday - Architectural Boat Tour at 3:00 p.m. - 1 museum before Tour. Late afternoon at Contemporary Art Museum (free day here). No evening plans





Weds. - Leave for airport at 2:00 p.m.





Things we would like to do in addition to above as time allows:



Hancock Building



Art Institute



Navy Pier



Field Museum



Adler Planetarium



Lincoln Zoo



Millinieum Park



Mag Mile Shopping



Buckingham Fountain





There%26#39;s so many things we want to do I%26#39;ve actually considered adding an extra day and taking the train home! (But then there%26#39;s the cost of the additional night for the hotel and the train fare so it probably won%26#39;t happen :) )





Any help would be so appreciated!!!!!



Help with Chicago Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights


%26lt;%26lt;Saturday, May 12th - Arrive at Midway - should get to The Intercontinental Hotel around 1:00 p.m. Afternoon and evening free%26gt;%26gt;





You could do Mag Mile shopping and the Hancock here, and maybe Navy Pier, depending on time.





%26lt;%26lt;Sunday, May 14th - Brunch at Atwood @ 11:45 a.m. Wicked at 2:00 p.m. Evening Free%26gt;%26gt;





I%26#39;d do a Wendella Boat tour @ 9:45A, which runs for 60 minutes and would leave you plenty of time to get to Atwood. The Wendella Boats depart from the NW corner of the Michigan Ave. bridge, about 3 blocks S of your hotel. You could do Navy Pier after, depending on when Wicked ends.





Monday: Field, Adler. Buckingham Fountain either on the way there or back. Millennium Park on the way back.





Tuesday: Art Institute in the morning, head up to the Zoo in the afternoon via bus or ';L';.





If you want to extend for 1 night, I see a great deal on Hotwire.com right now for 5/16-5/17. There%26#39;s a 3* Mag Mile/Streeterville Hotel with the amenities: suite, complimentary breakfast, fitness, pool, business, internet, kitchenette. $94. That%26#39;d very likely be either the Homewood Suites or one of the Embassy Suites properties (almost certainly the Suites on State/Ohio.) Hotwire is not refundable. If you have any questions, please ask before making a purchase.



Help with Chicago Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights


Thanks DVD for the quick response!!! Looks like we can hit many of the things we want. Would the Wendella and Architectural Foundation Boat tour we%26#39;re doing on Tuesday be too similiar?





I may consider extending a day. We have inexpensive flights but they are not refundable. However, our last day at the Intercontinental is $279+ tax so it may work out to be the same if I can find two hotel nights (15th %26amp; 16th) for a good deal and find inexpensive flights or train home - still weighing this option). Our 1st nights at the Intercontinental were from Hotwire so we cannot cancel those.




Boardwalk, here%26#39;s what I%26#39;d suggest:





When you get in Saturday, take a *cab* down to the Art Institute (to save time). The AI closes at 5 pm, but that would still give you about 3.5 hours to explore. Afterwards, go to Millennium Park - it%26#39;s immediately north of the AI. You could go shopping on N. Michgian Avenue afterwards, if you wish - but I%26#39;d suggest just having drinks at the Signature Lounge in the John Hancock Building - then dinner. By then, I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll be tuckered out.





Sunday: After Wicked, you could go back to Millennium Park (if you didn%26#39;t do it above - it%26#39;s only 3 blocks east of the Ford Center for the Performing Arts aka Oriental Theatre) or have dinner somewhere close - and then go to Buckingham Fountain in the evening.





Monday: Go to the Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. (The Field will probably take you about 3.5-4 hours and the Adler maybe 2 hours to explore.) Later, you could go to Navy Pier, if you wish. If not, you could always take the #146 NB CTA bus back up to N. Michigan Avenue and do your shopping then.





Tuesday or Wednesday: Go to the Lincoln Park Zoo in the morning. The other you can do shopping on the Magnificent Mile. Tues. evening: take a look at what%26#39;s available using Hottix.




%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;Would the Wendella and Architectural Foundation Boat tour we%26#39;re doing on Tuesday be too similiar? %26gt;%26gt;





Well, I was thinking do either the CAF or Wendella Tour Sunday AM instead of Tuesday.




%26lt;%26lt;I may consider extending a day. We have inexpensive flights but they are not refundable. However, our last day at the Intercontinental is $279+ tax so it may work out to be the same if I can find two hotel nights (15th %26amp; 16th) for a good deal and find inexpensive flights or train home - still weighing this option). Our 1st nights at the Intercontinental were from Hotwire so we cannot cancel those.%26gt;%26gt;





What appears to be the Swiss is showing on Hotwire for 5/15-17 on Hotwire (4* Mag Mile/Streeterville, fitness/pool/restaurant/business/hi-speed/tennis/spa.



$162. No guarantees that it is the Swiss, but looks as if it is.




Thanks to you both... so appreciated. I will print these to bring with me.





As far as the boat tours, from advice I booked it in advance and 3:00 p.m. seemed to be the only opening with the Foundation - I probably should have waited until I got there.





The one place I forgot was Shedd Aquarium - I think I need to spend a week in Chicago!




Just one quick thought - having recently done a lot of museums with guests - think about spreading the museum visits out. It%26#39;s quite hard on the body standing around looking at things and reading stuff. I got to half way through the second one and just wanted to sit down for most of the time. (And I%26#39;m not that old!)




%26lt;%26lt;The one place I forgot was Shedd Aquarium - I think I need to spend a week in Chicago! %26gt;%26gt;





Well, if you do need help planning additional hotel dates, please let me know what you are looking for in terms of budget and location and I%26#39;d be happy to try and help. The only concern is that the 18th starts to get VERY busy as the Restaurant Show begins.




Rules - I will keep your advice in mind. It%26#39;s so fun to plan you forget that after a few hours you need a break.





Also, I%26#39;m trying to possibly reschedule our tickets to Wicked for an evening performance as it seems to be taking our whole day and most things we want to see are only open until 4-6 p.m. They%26#39;re going to get back to me.... Hoping this is a good plan and I don%26#39;t regret it.





Thanks DVD for the offer (do you help on Bidding for Travel?). I%26#39;m still contemplating this and would love some help if we decide to extend our trip. Just wish I could get that plane fare back!




%26lt;%26lt;Thanks DVD for the offer (do you help on Bidding for Travel?). I%26#39;m still contemplating this and would love some help if we decide to extend our trip. Just wish I could get that plane fare back!%26gt;%26gt;





I help on betterbidding - I actually think I may have been the one to help you w/the Intercontinental, although could be wrong on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment