Sunday, April 15, 2012

Harbor Country recs

This may be misplaced, but since I know quite a few Chicagoans go to this area of MI during the summer, thought I might get some recs. Seems that the MI forums in that area are a bit sparse.





I am looking for an August stay, probably just a few days. Anyplace in the Harbor Country area is fine, even better if it%26#39;s near the lake. I have stayed at the Harbor Grand in New Buffalo, which was fine, but I%26#39;d like something else



Harbor Country recs


clvier1, are you looking for something on the lake? A hotel, an inn or a B%26amp;B?





I usually don%26#39;t stay any further south than Saugatuck/Douglas because I can make day trips when visiting Hoosier friends and families. And once I stayed in Fennville a few years ago. Any interest that far north?



Harbor Country recs


Sure, I%26#39;ll take any suggestions. Close to lake is nice, B%26amp;B, inn - preferably not chain lodgings. Don%26#39;t know much about Fennville. Have been to Saugatuck/Douglas ahd Grand Haven, the fomer two seem to get pretty overwhelmed w/tourists and summer home dwellers. My fav area is around Elk Rapids/Torch Lake, but that%26#39;s way north and most properties are week-long rentals, long spoken for and uber-expensive.




clvier1, Saugatuck does get pretty busy during the summer weekends - and how! But then, in the evenings (except Saturdays - and Sundays on long holiday weekends), it quiets down considerably. I usually stay during mid-week - those B%26amp;Bs usually have two to three-night minimum stays but sometimes mid-week, you%26#39;ll find some that will do a single night stay.





In the past ten years, I%26#39;ve stayed at the Maplewood Inn, the Wickwood Inn, the Ship N%26#39; Shore, and the Ivy Inn. The first two were my favorites.





You know, you might look into some of those condos there right on the water in Saugatuck. The VRBO website has quite a few options. And the Sea Suites could be interesting. Looks like it gets good TA reviews.





Of course, you could always stay over in Douglas. It%26#39;s much quieter than Saugatuck but right over the bridge. And the little park (sorry, but can%26#39;t think of the name of it) at the end of one of the main streets, is a lovely place to sit, relax and contemplate.





Fennville is about 10 miles inland from Saugatuck/Douglas and a nice little town. Pretty quiet, though. When I stayed there, it was at the Crane B%26amp;B - in that big house right across the road from the Crane%26#39;s Pie Pantry. The B%26amp;B is now gone (I%26#39;m pretty sure) but you%26#39;ll still see the house if you stop in at Pantry. Fennville does have a couple of B%26amp;Bs downtown that appear to be very nice.





The Fenn Valley winery will be having some events in August. On August 10, they will be having their summer cook-out and they have musical entertainment on Sunday afternoons. If you%26#39;ve never gone there, recommend that you check it out.





If you were looking at Harbor Country, on the water but not right on Lake Michigan, did you know that the town of Three Oaks is also considered part of that area? Its has a resort with lakeside cabins and cottages, I know, but I%26#39;ve never stayed there. I also know that they have several musical events throughout the summer - so even if you don%26#39;t stay there, take a look at their schedule about what%26#39;s happening when you stay in the area.





Sorry that I could only give you sketchy information about accommodations in Harbor Country, but (as I mentioned before), I only take daytrips to that area.




ChitownFriend:





Thanks for the detailed response. I will check some of those Sagatuck/Fennville options out. I did know about Three Oaks, but had always had the impression that it was some distance inland, and that there was somewhat less to do there (other than renting bikes... } :)





The Chicago forum is consistently the best of all I have posted on. Thanks again!




Three Oaks is about a 10 minute drive east from New Buffalo on US12.

No comments:

Post a Comment